September 11, 2013

What I'm Reading Wednesday Linky: One Terrible YA Novel

Or, there is a reason some books are only $1.99 at the Kindle store...

**Don't forget to l ink up to your WIRW post at the bottom!**

Born by Tara Brown
Goodreads Summary"It's us and them, Em. There are no regular people anymore."
Ten years ago when the world ended she ran for her life.
Five weeks ago the world she'd hidden from came knocking on the door of her secluded cabin.
Ten days ago she found salvation hiding amongst the dead.
Yesterday she went back for the living.
Today she wonders if she will live to see tomorrow.
What do you do when the world you were born to is gone?
Where do you hide when even your own body isn't safe?

Emma ran when her daddy told her to. She hid like he said she should. He was the first person she turned her back on. The first one she let die.  Ten years has gone by and she still lives by the simple rules he taught her when she was nine years old.

"Don't help anyone. Don't go where other people are unless you have to. Trust no one. Always pull the trigger."

Until one night she hears the worst sound in the world, a knock. A simple, timid knock, on the door to her cabin.  Only the voice of the brave little girl, ready to die for her brother, persuades Emma to open the door.  As her fingers turn the lock, she has a terrible feeling she will regret her decision.
But even as regret fills her world, so do love and companionship. Things she never imagined she would ever have again.  Everything comes at a cost, you decide what you'll pay.

My Thoughts: Did you skim that summary and think this book sounded pretty great?  Me too.  I was wrong.  So. very. wrong.  Even though this book was only $1.99, I seriously wish I could call Amazon and demand my money back.  It was THAT BAD.  I honestly believe one of my fourth graders could have written it.  To begin with, it was riddled with grammatical errors--not just a few typos, but incorrect usages of homophones.  Terrible.  Another annoyance was that practically every sentence started with "I."  I did this.  I did that.  I saw this.  I felt that.  There's another thing--we teach in ELEMENTARY SCHOOL the rule, "Show, don't tell."  This author must have been sick that day in 4th grade.

Okay, okay, enough about grammar.  There were also so many issues with the plot of the book.  The entire premise was bananas--the UN releases some crazy super virus that turns people into zombies?  Then, while the goverment has collapsed, it has somehow simultaneously become some super government that has these weird birthing factories.  The herione isn't likable at all, and her actions just make no sense.  She claims to not care about anyone, but then continuously picks up "strays" throughout the book, becoming all "motherly" towards them even though she is always saying she hates children.  Her romantic relationships are even less believable.  One minute she hates a particular boy, the next they are instantly making out.  Oh, and he must have read Twilight, because he definitely knows what an abusive relationship looks like!  Awful.

You guys, I will admit I'm picky about my books.  I like good writing.  But I can also easily overlook the writing if the characters and story are awesome.  I mean I've read the Twilight books more times than I care to admit.  But this book earns a definite DO NOT READ from me.

Gosh, that felt good. :)

1/5 Stars

What have you been reading these past weeks??
(This link-up will be open for two whole weeks, so feel free to write a post and link up anytime!)


4 comments:

  1. Sorry you wasted your time. :(

    I have an unrelated question: do you know anything about the legalities of sharing lessons that aren't originally yours online? I'd love to write more about teaching on my blog, but so few of my ideas are my own original ones. They're ones I've picked up at workshops over the years, from other teachers, etc. If I hear about things online I don't mind sharing that as much, as you can link back to the original source, and if THEY posted it, obviously they don't mind if it's out there. However, if I learn about something at a workshop, for example, I'm not sure if I should write about it...what do you do?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a Kindle and I've read reviews where they state they have gotten their money back on "bad" books. Why don't you send an email to Amazon and tell how bad the book was and that you would like a refund? It never hurts to try!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so behind in reading and writing blogs. This week I have a plan!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It did look good so thanks for the heads up hehe!! I am working my way through some books on tape while I run and train :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...