November 16, 2012

Tommie Copper Shorts Review

Thanks for all of the advice about my running shoe dilemma!  Based on your input and my own gut feeling, I am going to go with my Pure Cadences for the half-marathon.  I already wear them for shorter runs twice a week, and I plan to run a 7 miler on Saturday.  Cross your fingers for me! As one comment said, my calves will be sore no matter what, so better off in the shoes that cause less pain!  Speaking of sore calves... (see how I changed topics all smoothly like that?)

It is no big secret that I capital-L-LOVE compression wear.  I rock my compression sleeves on long runs, my recovery socks post-run, and have lately been loving compression shorts for recovery.  Back in January, I had the opportunity to to try out a few items of Tommie Copper compression gear.  Read my review of their calf and knee sleeves here.  My hips like to tighten up like crazy after long runs, not to mention my ongoing IT band woes, so compression shorts are something I'm a fan of.  I wore a different pair for practically two days straight (no comments on my laundry habits...) after my April half marathon, and was super pleased about their help with my recovery!  
Tommie Copper Calf Sleeves

Recently, I was excited to receive a pair of Tommie Copper compression shorts to review.  The first thing I noticed when I got the shorts was how lightweight they are.  Like other Tommie Copper products, the shorts are thin, stretchy, and have a silky feeling.  My favorite thing about the calf sleeves is that they are so thin I can wear them under skinny jeans.  Win!  The shorts are the same way.  Whereas my other compression shorts can be worn under yoga pants, the Tommie Copper shorts can definitely fit under jeans, a dress, whatever!  They are really thin and comfortable.
My dad took this picture for me.  After, his comment on it was, 'You look really young.' 
Story of my life.

Don't be fooled by the thin, comfortable nature of the shorts--they still do a darn good job as far as compression is concerned.  My first thought with the calf sleeves was that I couldn't believe that they could be so thin and comfortable but still compress, but they totally do.  The shorts are the same way.  I have been changing into them immediately after my long runs lately and wearing them most of the day.  My legs have felt great the next day, hips and all!
What, you don't immediately don compression shorts and eat a PBJ in bed post long run?

While I am usually a strict nike tempo shorts girl on my runs, I wore these for a 3-miler when I first got them just to see how they felt, and I was pleasantly surprised!  The shorts were comfortable, and I really liked the feel of them on a run.  The best part, though, was that I could feel the shorts compressing my IT bands a little bit!!  I have been leaving the KT tape and ITB straps at home for runs 3mi and shorter lately (yay!), but I can usually still feel some tightness or pain by the end.  These shorts are no miracle cure for the ITBS I have been dealing with for 18mos, but on my run I could feel them compressing the IT bands in a good way--does that make sense?  Sound weird?  I don't know, but it was a good thing!
I rocked the shorts under my jeans after the Perfect 10 race last weekend.  
Added bonus--they kind of work like spanx... :)

The only thing that could be improved in my opinion would be a wider waistband.  I'm know I'm not the only girl out there who is not the biggest fan of shorts with a thin stretchy waist because of the inevitable muffin top factor--no good!  A wider waistband more in a yoga pants style would make them way more comfortable to run in IMHO.  Anyways, I give these shorts a thumbs up and will continue wearing them for recovery and on the occasional run!  

DISCLAIMER: Tommie Copper sent me a pair of compression shorts in exchange for writing a review.  All thoughts and opinions are my own.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...