March 4, 2012

A New Plan: Job Search, Part 1

Can I just take a moment to again thank every single person who commented on my post about losing my job? Your kind words mean the world to me as I deal with this crappy situation.  Many of you asked if I could contact my union because it seems unfair that experienced teachers were let go instead of the newest teachers to the district.  Unfortunately, in my district all non-tenured teachers are on the same playing field and seniority doesn't come into play.  Bummer, right??
 
Thanks, Michelle, for sending me this magnet!
It is exactly the reminder I needed...

Since I wrote that post last week, as I promised, I have ended the pity party and really begun to make my peace with the situation.  Like I've said in a million posts in the past, and like I told one of my students yesterday at school, in life we can't control what happens to us.  We can only control how we react to situations and how we move forward.  I am in charge of me, remember?  We could go crazy being angry about what happens to us or irate about the injustice of it all...but is that any way to live?  I've decided to see this experience as an opportunity.  Like I said, while I am happy at my school, it has CERTAINLY been less than perfect, and it is definitely not my dream job.  I am choosing to see this as "being set free" from my school, and given the chance to explore something new.
So, I've spent the past two weeks researching and applying to school districts in Boston and in Colorado.  I've been tossing around the idea of moving some place new for a couple years now, and while it would have been nice to do it on my own terms, an opportunity is an opportunity.  I love Boston--I've visited a few times, twice in the past three years, and on both of those recent visits I looked around and thought, "Yeah, I belong here."  My cousin and one of my close friends from high school live there too, so that's another bonus.  Do they need teachers?  No idea.  But that hasn't stopped me from applying to every public and private school I can find.  I actually haven't been to Colorado except for one family ski trip in Steamboat when I was 5 years old.  I don't remember it at all.  But I love the idea of Colorado and figured I'd at least send out some applications and see if an opportunity comes up!

Applying for jobs out of state is certainly a lot more work than jobs in state.  First, I don't know the names of any of the suburbs, and I don't know what the districts are.  I've been doing a lot of google searches and looking at google maps!  Second, there is the certification issue.  I've fully applied for my Massachusetts teaching license, and am in the process of applying for my Colorado license.  Colorado makes you submit finger prints and go through a background check before you can even apply for licensure!  It's definitely been time consuming, and EXPENSIVE!  So far I've spent about $20 on transcripts, $100 on the Mass license app fee, $40 on a background check, $10 on finger prints, and a couple bucks on stamps to ship things out.  Yikes!  And who knows if any of this will even lead to a job!!
source
The more research I do and jobs I apply for, though, the more excited I am about the idea of starting over some place new.  (I pretty much listen to the song "Boston" by Augustana at least a couple of times a day..."I think I'll go to Boston, I think I'll start a new life...")  I love Chicago, and absolutely LOVE being near my parents and Oldest Brother, but I'm getting a little...restless.  I have always seen myself coming back here, but I feel so much like I need to take this opportunity when I'm young and unattached to experience a new city.  Cross your fingers that something works out!!

Have you ever made a gigantic change in your life?  How did you get the courage to do it?  Did it work out?

24 comments:

  1. Good for you for not giving up! Is it possible to transfer to a different building in your district or are you just gone no matter what?? That seems SO wrong to me. Weird how unions work in other places because they'd be alllll over something like that where I live.

    At any rate, I never really made any gigantic changes because I had a daughter when I was in 10th grade and it kind of limits you! :) I almost moved to Florida once but got cold feet...I'm glad I didn't because when I decided to stay here I met my hunny.

    I think it would be super fun to move somewhere new and start totally fresh. I hope everything works out well and you find a fabulous dream job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amy,

    I so admire your attitude! It would be so easy to worry and be consumed with the "what-if's". Sometimes these situations are what we need to get us out of our comfort zones and find a place where we are really needed and belong. God put me where He needs me and I think He has the same in store for you! =)

    Heather
    Heather's Heart

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a fantastic way to pick yourself up and dust yourself off, sweetie! I'm excited to see what may happen for you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great & positive attitude! If you move to Boston our states will be neighbors! :-) Best of luck!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great attitude! I am so sorry to hear your news - I have almost the exact same situation, it's been a long rough year this far with so many changes as we try to get off the failing schools list, I've been working harder than ever with a split position between elementary and high school, they have officially said anything yet but word is I'm on the short list of lay offs, while others who have been there less time will not be getting the pink slip. We have a new principal and I feel exactly the same! I feel uplifted by your post, I've been trying to look at it the same way, I will be so happy to go somewhere else and have a fresh start, the difficult thing for me is supporting my family if I don't find another position. Moving is also difficult because it involves moving our kids, my husband finding a new job, ect. We did move when we were young and first married it was a great opportunity and I learned so much, I have never regretted it!! We came back home when our kids started elementary school and I decided to go back to college, it was good timing and things worked out well. I know God has everything under control all will put you right where you need to be!! Thanks for encouraging me with this post!!!
    Amy
    The Resource(ful) Room
    (I'm having a giveaway right now you could win some fabulous prizes if you have a chance you should come by and enter!!)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good luck with your job search! I've always enjoyed your blog as I'm a young teacher/ running as well. Coincidentally, I live about 40 minutes outside of Boston (too far if you ask me.) Let me know if you have any questions re: certification, towns, schools etc. I have only lived here for 2.5 years but could maybe help a bit. I'll also pass along any openings that come up in my school.

    This sounds like a great opportunity to try something new!

    ReplyDelete
  7. It sounds like you have a plan. Are their any teacher recuitment events in your area where other states come to search for teachers? We have them here in NY every year.

    I moved to a different state to work as a teacher. I went down to Florida for two years. I loved my job and learned a lot. I did come back home, but I was so thankful for the time and experience!

    Good luck and keeps us posted!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I LOVE this post! Not because of you loosing your job, but because of your attitude towards change! How exciting and refreshing that is! After I graduated from college I left the comfort of being near ALLL of my family and went and taught in Mexico for 10 years! It was the BEST decision EVER for me! Beause of that, I was able to SEEEEE the WORLD! After Mexico I went and taught in Brazil for three years! I have walked on the Great Wall, danced in Buenos Aires, ate the BEST PIZZA ever in Naples, and the list goes on and on! If I would have stayed close to home after graduation ... NONE OF THIS WOULD HAVE EVER HAPPENED! ... GO FOR IT.... "Today is YOUR DAY! Your mountain is waiting so get on your way! " Dr. Seuss (of course!)
    Carmen
    carmen.zeisler @ mcpherson.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh wow! I haven't "visited" you in a little while and didn't know you lost your job. I'm SO sorry. But it sounds like you have things under control -- I mean you're feeling positive and taking action. So that's all good. Best of luck with everything!!

    ❀Barbara❀
    My Running Shortz

    ReplyDelete
  10. I haven't been on here much it appears! I had no idea about your job - I'm so sorry. You're an amazing teacher though - any district will be very lucky to get you! You were one of the first blogs that inspired me to begin mine and you continue to inspire me to be a better teacher!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I must have missed that post!!! OMG!!! I am so sorry about your job, but my husband says that everything happens for a reason so maybe this is the right thing for you. I wish you well in your job search and hope everything turns out great!

    You are such an inspiration to me both in the classroom and as a runner!! Thinking of you! :)

    Shannon
    http://www.everystepcounts365.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. I was so sorry to hear your news. Somehow I missed the last post and didn't know until now. I have been reading your blog for a couple of months now and you never fail to inspire me. I have used a lot of your ideas in your class and they always go over great! I actually am a teacher in Colorado... in Denver Public Schools. I'm a pretty new teacher so certainly won't have a ton of answers. But let me know if there is anything I could do to help your search here. Colorado is a magnificent state, well worth moving to! =)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Best wishes to you and congrats on your positive outlook! You're right that there's no point in staying angry or having a pity party because it wastes your energy. Now you can use that energy to starting something new. Can't wait to hear more about your adventures.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Best of luck to you in your job search! Your compassion for education shines through in your blog. I know that a district will pick you up in a heart beat. Keep your head up!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Good for you! I taught in Northern Quebec one year (a great great year) but other than that I am near where I grew up. I do love it here. Good luck.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I just found your blog today and am sorry about your job but I love your new attitude. I tell my hubby I have to have my pity party first then I am ready to move on. I too have been thinking of relocating to Colorado or Chicago but I hear there are no teaching jobs in Chicago so we have given up on that one. I wish you the best of luck!!

    Mrs Poland
    Think, Wonder, & Teach

    ReplyDelete
  17. Just read this lady. I am so so sorry. you lost your job. their loss. but i am so so happy you have turned this around and looking at it in the right light. i am even more excited that you think you might come to BOSTON yayyyy that would be incredible. if you want questions about suburbs etc, let me know i can help. and if you need places to come stay for a few nights i am your girl!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I moved from Kentucky to Long Island NY all by myself for a coaching position at Hofstra University and a small, part-time commission only job...for experience (before teaching). Here I am still there 20 years later, married with three beautiful boys....

    hey, ya just never know:)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Nice to have a well organize, in fact i have done this for my kids stuff and it do really work out..

    ReplyDelete
  20. sorry to hear about you losing your job. i don't know you but from following your blog, i kinda feel like i do and i think you're a great teacher! i love your ideas and enthusiasm!
    i was having no luck in canada so i decided to move abroad. i am in my 5th year away now, and third country, currently kuwait. it's a great experience and i get to see the world and do the job i love. maybe you'll consider that! come to kuwait! :)
    best of luck with the job hunt!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I'm really pulling for you, Amy. I love your attitude about all of this! You are such a strong person :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. I was let go last year, and I wallowed for awhile, trying to figure out what to do and where to look next. As it turned out, another job turned up in the summer, and I am so happy here. One of my old coworkers at my last school (which was fighting off being taken over by the state due to missing AYP for so long) told me that she's happy I escaped, so I guess it's for the best. I hope something similar works out for you!

    I just went to Colorado this summer, and it was fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  23. My life has been full of gigantic changes. I'm a Michigan girl, went to college for Spanish, went out west for a summer to work, was offered a job in AZ on the Navajo rez, taught HS Spanish for a year, moved back to MI for a few years, and this past year have been teaching 5th grade in FL. Life is full of adventures, but without God I doubt I would have had the courage to set foot out of Michigan, especially since my family was going through some pretty hard issues.
    Set your sights high, and go for it! You never know what's out there for you if you don't take that first step! I commend you for seeking new places! :) TX, AZ, and NM are always looking for teachers :)

    ReplyDelete
  24. Hey There,

    Just checked in to see what super ideas you had and saw your news about your job. I am so sorry.

    Like you, I stayed close to home my entire life (the only one of four who didn't go away to college, etc.). Six and a half years ago I decided that I wanted to move to Dallas. There was no famiy, only one friend from high school back in Florida. It was the hardest thing I've ever done, but IT WAS THE BEST THING I'VE EVER DONE!!!! I found the perfect school and a ton of wonderful new friends.

    You will be great wherever you go and you will find the perfect place for you! YOU GO GIRL!

    Mary

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...