February 18, 2011

Muscle Ouches and Meatless Protein

It appears my body is just self-destructing.

First, it was my tibia pain resurfacing (even months after my stress fracture).  Thankfully that seems to have passed... *knocks on wood*
Then, it was huge knots in my calves that have been coming and going and coming and multiplying the past few weeks...
Most recently the outer edge of my left foot has been in pain...why?  WHY???  Oh, and my arches were bothering me too.

Come on, body!  We're sooo close!  In fact, a week from now I'll be in Florida gearing up for 13.1!
Pull it together!!

Getting massages (a new habit which I may need a part-time second job to support!!), foam rolling, and using The Stick at home have all helped...but soo painful!  There have literally been tears during these torture sessions!  My plan to make sure I'm not an injured mess next weekend is to skip the long run this Sunday (I had planned on doing 8 miles) in favor of some cross training, and do 1 light, short run this week instead of the 2 I had scheduled.  Mrs. Mentor Teacher who has also become Mrs. Running Advisor (she's a marathoner herself) reminded me that I have already put in the work and built up the stamina.  I will make it through the race whether I run 8 miles Sunday or not, but I DON'T want to go into the race already sore and injured!  So resting it is. :)

I've also started making super yummy protein smoothies that I've been devouring after runs.  So delicious and satisfying.  I've been considering supplementing my diet with protein powder for awhile now, ever since it dawned on me last year just how little protein I was consuming.  I've been a vegetarian since 2007 and am in general a healthy eater (aside from my chocolate habit), but I'm a big time carb lover.  Additionally, since I moved back home with my parents after graduation (2009), I've become unbelievably lazy about meal preparation...I HATE cooking and it is way easier to eat whatever my parents are cooking minus the meat.  That generally means little-no protein.  ANYWAYS, I've been trying to get my act together for the past 6 months or so, but protein powder seems like a great addition.  I know most veggies can get enough protein just from their plant-based diets, but this seems like a good thing for me right now.

My yummy smoothie recipe was inspired by Caitlin over at Healthy Tipping Point:

  • 1 cup vanilla soy milk
  • 4ish ice cubes
  • 1 banana
  • big handful frozen blueberries
  • generous spoonful peanut butter
  • 1 scoop french vanilla Designer Whey protein powder
Result: 1 delicious, high-protein glass of delight.  Drink up, muscles!

mmmm protein....
With that, I'm off to ice my calves after a very deep tissue massage...60 minutes spent JUST on my calves = just what these aching muscles needed.  But I'm going to be feeling that tomorrow, I'm sure!  Why does it have to hurt more before it can hurt less??

Any other advice for getting these aches and pains sorted out before the race?  
Other suggestions for smoothie add-ins?

2 comments:

  1. My husband drinks the same exact smoothie, except he uses vanilla almond milk instead of soy and also adds strawberries. My favorite smoothie, however, is the chocolate cherry bomb. You can find the recipe on my blog. It's PERFECT for chocolate addicts like us!

    Have you tried adding chia seeds to your smoothies? So far, I've only put them in my overnight oats, but can't wait to try them in my breakfast smoothie. They fill you up quickly and keep you satisfied for a long time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't tried chia seeds yet, but have been hearing SO much about them lately. I am definitely going to pick some up next time I'm at the store! And I will DEFINITELY try the chocolate cheery bomb recipe--YUM!!!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...