January 7, 2011

1/2 Marathon Training Update: The Power of Positive Thinking

The past week of running has not exactly gone according to the training plan.  Between re-aggravating my lingering tibial stress fracture doing yoga last week and getting HIT IN THE SKULL with the projection screen yesterday at school, after which the school nurse told me I wasn't allowed to go to the gym, my schedule has been a little off!  Today when I left school, still on a high from the great compliment I received from the literacy team, I couldn't wait to run.  I had a big smile on my face anticipating it, and I just KNEW it was going to be great.

A little background on me:  I am a newish runner, and I did NOT grow up an athlete.  No, I was the girl who walked half of the mile in elementary school and who used every little excuse to get out of PE.  I DEFINITELY did not play sports.  While I am not that girl anymore, after a few days off of running, she sometimes peeks back into my head and I get a bit...pessimistic.  This has happened a lot lately as my tibia pain has popped up again...to say I've been a bit frustrated is to put it QUITE mildly.  I'll drive to the gym, or get dressed for an outside run, thinking, "This is going to suck.  It's been too long, I'm not feeling up to it, ughhh..."

from my training log
And guess what?  I tend to fulfill that prophecy.  So it's unusual for me to, after time off and recent injury pain, have POSITIVE expectations for a run.  Well, I was not disappointed.  In fact, my 4-mile run was fabulous.  I loved it.  The songs that came up on my shuffle were just perfect, my tibia nagged a little bit but stayed under control with walk breaks, and mercifully my poor head didn't mind the pounding on the treadmill.  This run was just what I needed to remind me I can definitely reach my half-marathon goal, and also to remind me of the power of positive thinking!!!  Yes, post-injury I am still ridiculously slow.  But yes, I can do this. :)

After that run and the thoughts surrounding it, it seems almost too perfect that this quote was printed on a poster in the gym bathroom:
Sorry about the god-awful photo-quality...it was glaring like whoa!
Since you likely can't read that, it says,

I am not a born athlete.  I am a believer.
I will not listen to the voices in my head.
I will continue to run.  Far and fast.
I live to feel my heart in my chest.  The rush of blood.
The pounding of the pavement.
I will not give up.
I will taste the salt of my own victory.

In my post about mantras (for running and for life), I talked about my favorite mantra: Trust the Process.
To me, that in part means that everything happens for a reason.  There are no accidents.  It's no accident that I happened to read this today, on a day when I realized that a positive attitude is a pretty powerful thing.  

Anyways, let's hope Sunday's long run is as successful.  I mean...it WILL be successful. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...