December 16, 2010

Cue awkward giggle to myself...

Today we finally finished reading Wayside School is Falling Down!  The kids sat in rapt silence (interrupted only by HUGE giggle fits) as I plowed through the last few chapters in an extra-long read aloud time.  We usually only read about 10 minutes, but today as a special treat we read for 30.  SOOO worth it.

Anyways, if you have read the Wayside School books, you'll know they are silly with a capital S.  Well, today we read a VERY interesting part during which the kids looked confusedly to one another while I giggled awkwardly and rushed to continue reading before questions were asked...

Let me explain.  There is a character in Falling Down who has 3 ears--two regular, and one on the top of her head.  The thing is, though, that this third ear can hear people's thoughts!  Also, it's completely hidden by her hair, so no one knows it's there.  Well, at one point in the story, this character (who is not a student at Wayside) was proposed to.  Before she said yes, she felt obligated to share her secret about the third ear.  And then, out of NO WHERE, the book says something along the lines of, "He already knew about her two regular ears; he had nibbled on both of them..." Oh my goodness.  The kids all kind of looked at each other like "huh??" (it's actually refreshing that they were confused by that!) while I actually laughed out loud, wondered what I would say if anyone asked what the heck he was doing nibbling on her ear, and wished there were another teacher in the room to make eye contact with!

There are SO MANY silly moments in every given day, and so often do I wish I had a buddy teacher around to giggle about them with!  I guess I will have to be content with sharing them here. :)  Oh Louis Sachar...so silly...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...