November 5, 2010

Writing Woes

I have a secret to confess...

The past two weeks, Writing Workshop has been TANKING in my classroom.  I know.  Just a few weeks ago, I was like Miss Writing Workshop, exclaiming how amazing it is to anyone and everyone!  What changed? Well, I started having the kids work on an expository, and at first it was going fine.  Now, though, as kids are finishing, I am noticing a lot of students have TOTALLY forgotten the whole, "finish a piece, work on something else!" rule.  No matter how many times both before, during, and after the lesson I say it.  Yikes.  It is making me CRAZY!

Good news is though that the expository is almost finished, and most are not half bad from what I gather.  Good first writing project, but I am READY to wrap it up.  In fact, we're not even publishing them (i.e. typing, cover, etc.).  I'm just having the kiddos turn them in so I can slap a grade based on paper structure and support on them just in time for the end of the trimester.  And it's about time too--I miss LOVING writing workshop!!!  I think my kiddos and I both need a reminder of why we were so in love with writing that first month of school.  This calls for some fun Ideas lessons and a few weeks of Free Choice in Writing Workshop...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...