August 23, 2010

Twas the night before the first day of school...

After a wonderful summer and a hiatus from this blog, I'm happy to say I decided to blog about year number 2.  This is going to have to be a very short post though, as I'm completely exhausted from my first 5:30am wake up day in months.  Yikes, how did I used to do this every day?  Let's hope my body figures out what's going on in a hurry.  Anyways, after a meeting-filled day and a meet-and-greet filled with seemingly sweet children and mostly normal parents (except for one whom I will describe in detail in the near future...don't worry...), I'm feeling optimistic about the first day tomorrow.  I've read an reread my battered, dogeared, post-ited copy of Teaching with Love and Logic, proofread my plans too many times to count, packed my lunch, and set out my outfit.  And I have to say, I'm feeling good.  So I'm heading off to bed in search of 7 1/2 hours of sleep with this prayer in my head (because let's face it, I can use all the help I can get!):

From Chalkdust by Elspeth Campbell Murphy
"On the Night Before School Starts"

School starts tomorrow, Lord, and I'm nervous.
Ease my anxiety.
Give me confidence,
and let my confidence give the children security.
Let my external control
be a means of promoting their inner control,
so that classroom order
becomes a shared responsibility.
Let me have the kind of self-control
that teaches by example.
And let my discipline be patterned after yours,
rooted in a love
that will setltle for nothing less than their best.
School starts tomorrow, Lord; make me ready.
You have given me a job to do
and the ability to do it well.
You have given me your promise that you will never leave me.
And you have guided me in all my preparation.
So now let me face tomorrow
eagerly and unafraid,
for ultimately my confidence rests in this:
"I am ready for anything
through the strength of the one
who lives within me" (Phil,4:13).

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...