September 15, 2009

laughin and crying

Okay, I know I said I was going to bed, but I had a second wind and just wanted to share.

Some days I think, "Man, I wish that I had an easier job." Then, I stop myself and rephrase that: "I wish I wanted to have a job that was easier than teaching." It's weird because I don't want any other job--I just wish the job I did want were easier! Rock - me - hard place, I guess.

But anyways, I digress. Last night I was completely frustrated by so many, many things about school. Certain students making me crazy, school in general, just everything. I almost cried at lunch. Today, like I said, was much better. And even after a 14 hour day (including curriculum night), I'm in a great mood. Isn't it amazing how on a bad day I am ready to quit, and how on a good day I love love love my job?

This got me thinking. Sure, no other job has workers putting in countless hours of unpaid overtime. Most other jobs don't keep you up at night, give you nightmares, or make you cry. Few other jobs involve becoming so emotionally invested in your work that you are constantly thinking about it. But then again, how many other jobs can you leave after your 14 hour day and feel energized rather than exhausted? How many other jobs can you feel literally elated when a child tells you that you are a great teacher because you make learning fun? As I'm certainly learning, teaching is EMOTIONAL. This is both a good thing and a bad thing. But like I told my dad today, yes, I do wish my job were easier. But I know it's the job I'm meant to do, so I'm just going to keep doing my best and crossing my fingers that we all make it through the year and (hopefully) ALL learn something. :)

Tomorrow I will update on:
-daily 5 read to self
-table points
-curriculum night
-my grading dilemma

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...