August 22, 2009

maybe, just maybe, i'm ready for this

After countless hours in my classroom this week, my room is (drum roll) DONE. Name tags are taped to desks, text books are passed out, folders are labeled, and my desk is cleared off. Except for one (small) pile of papers...but no one's perfect ;)

In three days, my students will be come into my perfectly prepared classroom, the year will start, and I will really be a real-life teacher. I'm feeling nervous and excited once again, but for maybe the first time all summer, a little more excited and a little less nervous. For those of you who know me personally, I tend to be a bit of an anxious person (and those of you who REALLY know me know that that's the understatement of the century...). But I looked around my classroom today (yes, I was there on a Saturday. I know.), glanced through my first week plans, and realized that I am ready for the week. And as much as I wonder if I'm ready to teach, I have to remember that I would not have gotten the job if my building staff hadn't thought I was competent for this, not to mention my professors from college and cooperating teacher/principal from student teaching. Don't get me wrong, I'm not in denial about how challenging and stressful this year will be. I just feel, maybe, that I can handle it.

Ask me that same question again next week, and you may get a completely different answer. I'm told this year will be a roller coaster of emotion. But I'm looking forward to it :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...