July 2, 2009

Well, I guess I'm really going to be a teacher...

After blogging from time to time during my student teaching last year, I decided today that my teaching blog is worth reviving.  Miraculously, I managed to both graduate and land a pretty wonderful teaching position since I last blogged.  (I know, I can hardly believe it myself!)  Let me quickly recap the course of events leading up to this...

August 2008: Began student teaching in 4th grade.  Instantly loved every second of it and became convinced without a doubt that not only is teaching the perfect career for me, but intermediate elementary is the perfect age group.

December 2008: Shedding a few tears, said goodbye to my student teaching class, and began to think about my plans for post-grad.

January 2009: Began applying for teaching jobs throughout the state, as well as some other miscellaneous service/travel programs. 

February & March 2009: Many looong days of applications and job fairs; many looong nights of soul-searching and figuring out where I wanted my life to take me post-grad...a decision which turned out to be tougher than anticipated!

April 21st, 2009: Interviewed for a 5th grade position at an elementary school near my family's home.  Completely bombed the interview.  Strangely got a voicemail from the principal that night wanting me to return his call the following morning.

April 22nd, 2009: Was offered a job teaching 5th grade at said elementary school.  Was completely stunned/shocked/you name it.  Needed a day to digest news and think things over...

April 23rd 2009: Accepted job and officially began preparing for the next phase of my life--Miss Teacher, fifth grade teacher.  (weird...)

Anyways, as this summer passes by (too) quickly, I'm starting to anticipate and prepare for the year ahead. It's definitely going to be a tough year, and I'm both excited and terrified. I will be using this blog to chronicle my year, share lesson ideas, describe high and low points, and vent frustrations.
Here's to hopefully a relaxing and productive last month of summer and a beautiful start to the new year!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...